Valley Gardens and the adjacent Pinewoods in Harrogate comprise about 17 acres of park, woodland, and floral displays. It is believed that a greater number of mineral springs come to the surface in Valley Gardens than in any other known location on earth. Thirty-six of Harrogate’s eighty-eight mineral wells are found within the gardens, with no two being alike. The floral displays are spectacular and include a magnificent dahlia garden and seasonal bedding displays that are re-planted throughout the year.
For more information about Valley Gardens, please visit the Harrogate Borough Council web page.
The main entrance to Valley Gardens is situated at the junction of Cornwall Road, Valley Drive and Royal Parade Harrogate. Post Code HG1 2SZ. See our maps page for additional information.
The Gardens are open all year round, 24 hours a day.
Most footpaths in the Gardens are suitable for the majority of manual and electric wheelchair users and there are disabled toilets.
Street disc zone car parking is available around Valley Gardens. Please read the signs carefully before you leave your car.
Please visit our Photo Gallery to gain a better appreciation of the beauty of Valley Gardens. To view Historical Photographs of the Gardens, please click here.
For press coverage of Valley Gardens and Friends of Valley Gardens, please click here.
Facilities and Activities
- The Old Magnesia Well Pump Room Information Centre and Historic Spa Wells throughout the Park
- Sun Pavilion - events and entertainment (Managed by Harrogate International Centre)
- Children’s Play Area (renovated and improved in 2009 and 2012)
- Colonnade walk
- Orienteering course (maps available at Harrogate Tourist Information Center)(For more information about Orienteering, visit the Claro Orienteering Club web site)
- Floral Audio Tour (Details available at the Harrogate Tourist Information Center)
- Model boating pond - You can use your own boat anytime or watch Claro Marine Modelers from 10:00 to 12:00 every Sunday morning, weather permitting
- Magnesia Well Cafe
- Skateboard/BMX Park Valley Gardens - Facebook Page
- Summer Band Concerts at the Bandstand
- Games in Parks (managed by Harrogate Borough Council) including: 4 Tennis Courts, Pitch and Putt Golf (18 holes), Crazy Golf (18 holes), Disc Golf (9 “holes”) and Table Tennis
- There is a wonderful walk from Valley Gardens through the Pinewoods to RHS Harlow Carr. You can download the RHS brochure by clicking the link below.
2009 Britain in Bloom - Valley Gardens - Best public park in the United Kingdom
2004 Entente Florale (Europe in Bloom) - Harrogate - Gold Medal
A detailed History of Valley Gardens can be found here. It is followed by an outline giving significant dates.
Follow these links for additional information about Valley Gardens:
Harrogate Borough Council Parks and Woodlands
Harrogate Borough Council - Valley Gardens
Band Concerts in Valley Gardens (Held weekly in June, July, and Aug)
Games in Parks information from Harrogate Borough Council
Trip Advisor Reviews of Valley Gardens
Harrogate Civic Society (for membership information contact Peter Brown)
Harrogate in Bloom
Harrogate Flower Shows
Harrogate’s 1940s Events
Skateboard/BMX Park Valley Gardens Facebook Page
RHS Harlow Carr - There is a wonderful walk from Valley Gardens through the Pinewoods to RHS Harlow Carr. You can download the RHS brochure here.
Walking Englishman - A Walk Around the Woodland and Parkland of Harrogate - a walk through Valley Gardens, the Pinewoods and Birk Crag - about 3.5 miles
Pinewoods Conservation Group
Harrogate Tourist Information Centre
Claro Marine Modelers
Claro Orienteering Club - There is an orienteering trail for beginners in Valley Gardens and another intermediate trail in the Pinewoods. Maps are available at the Tourist Information Center.
BBC Valley Gardens in Pictures
Martin Fish Simply Gardening (Martin is President of FOVG)
The Duchy Vixen - News and Information about the Duchy Area in Harrogate